Beer Enthusiast Events Not to Miss in YYC!

Bottlescrew Bill’s in Calgary, AB has been renowned by beer lovers since 1985, and truly ignited the craft beer revolution in the city.  With a large selection of craft beer from all around the world (26 draught beer and over 275 bottled beer from more than 35 countries), they continue to hit the mark with beer fanatics by hosting beer dinners and an annual Beerfest.  vintage-beer-label-vector-758514.jpg

This spring, Bottlescrew Bill’s is welcoming their guests to three exclusive beer pairing dinners as part of their Beer Dinner Series.  Guests will be presented with a five course meal from Executive Chef Aaron Scherr, perfectly paired with a craft beer for each course.  These dinners will display the endless opportunities when pairing beer with food; yes, beer does pair very well with dessert!

  • Tuesday, March 5-Grizzly Paw Brewing Company
  • Tuesday, April 9-Wild Rose Brewery
  • Tuesday, May 7-Artisan Ales

Beerfest-2013_small

Bottlescrew Bill’s definitely knows beer, and it is celebrated at their yearly Beerfest, held on the first Saturday of March.  This year the 19th annual Beerfest is on Saturday, March 2 and will feature 75+ beer from over 25 breweries.  The event is of the most quaint of the beer festivals in Calgary and if you’re looking for more than beer to make you feel good, well…all proceeds are donated to the Mustard Seed Street Ministry.

For more on Bottlescew Bill’s events, beer, food, and their Around the World in 80 Beers program visit their website here.

My Friday Pick-Dead Frog Winter Beeracle

photo-6I’m probably not the only one in Calgary that is happy to currently reside right here and not out east. While eastern Canada is getting hit hard with a snow storm and trying to stay warm, us Calgarians are nice and toasty with unseasonably mild weather.  As support for our chilly and snow buried eastern Canadians, I’m sipping on a Winter Beeracle from Dead Frog Brewery out of B.C.  I have tried many winter brews, with spice and toffee characteristics, but this is the first i’ve enjoyed with lots of warm maple notes.  My Friday selection is topped beautifully with vanilla and a hint of orange.  To my eastern family members, friends, and fans, I hope you’re staying warm and enjoying a winter warmer on this cold and snowy day!IMG_7333

-Cheers!

Phillips Brewing Co.-Alberta Draught Launch at National Beer Hall

photo-5Since I’m a huge fan of nearly every Phillips Brewing Company beer I have had in the bottle, I was indescribably pumped for the launch of their beer on draught in Alberta.  The launch of this Victoria, BC brewery’s draught compilation took place at a local favourite of mine, National Beer Hall on Thursday, January 31, 2013.  The brewery founder himself, Matt Phillips, graced the venue and the awaiting Phillips beer lovers with his presence.  Local beer writers, connoisseurs, bloggers and industry folk lined up to pick his brain about the brews that are each unique in character.

The evening kicked off just after 5:00 pm with passed canapés while guests chose from 7 of their delicious beers on tap to try.  I of course had to try them all!  I started my tasting off with a pint of the Analogue 78, a crisp and clean German style kolsch, suggested by National Beer Hall General Manager, Chris Joyce.  The kolsch was a nice fresh palate cleanser to start, and was refreshing with just a pinch of hop bite.  I moved onto the National Beer hall flight with 6 of the remaining beers to try; Blue Buck Amber, Hop Circle IPA, Amnesiac Double IPA, Hoperation, Longboat Chocolate Porter, and Hammer (bourbon barrel aged) Imperial Stout.  I’m a strong beer girl with a love for nice rich, dark and somewhat sweet brews; the Hammer was hands down my favourite of the selection!  It was very well rounded, 8.3% abv, with touches of toffee, vanilla and oak from the bourbon barrels.  This beauty was not as fierce as many imperial stouts I have tried so I enjoyed the depth of flavour without the heavy body.

I sunk my teeth into a tender and tasty turkey burger, aside balsamic vinaigrette greens while sipping on the Blue Buck.  Each of the Phillips beers have something different to offer, and National has the perfect menu item to pair!

Thanks to Matt Phillips of Phillips Brewing Company and Chris Joyce from National Beer Hall, the evening was a delicious success!

-Cheers!