Moving Mayhem-Brews to Cure the Madness!

Do you have a big move planned? Or maybe you spent the majority of your summer getting settled into a new home. The stress and cost of moving is enough to make one crazy! To cure your madness from moving, check out these tasty and refreshing beers that are perfect for the ‘heat’ of packing, unpacking and moving.

For those of you that have tackled a big move in the past, know that it isn’t a small feat. It takes days on end to get settled, and the move itself can take a full day. You need a beer that will..ehem…allow you to sustain the full day, so a light, low alcohol beer, and one that isn’t too full-bodied or sweet. Think thirst quenching, crisp and refreshing. Session beers as they are called, are great for, well, session drinking, when you know you’ll be sipping on more than just one. I’ll be honest, with the thought of ever having to move again, I know I’ll need more than one tasty craft beer to get me through; something to look forward to at each break, and at the end of the very end of the day. Saison’s are my ultimate favourite session beers. Now these are certainly not lacking in body and flavour, though they are balanced enough, and light enough to enjoy over an extended period. I’ve just discovered a Saison by Green Flash Brewing Co.,(thanks to Kensington Wine Market) out of San Diego called Saison Diego which I absolutely love! It is very subtle with coriander, grass and citrus notes, a slight tartness and it’s very fresh. At 4.5% this is a must try Saison and will be sure to keep you standing during your next big move!

If you’re more of a pale ale fan, reach for Deschutes Brewery’s Mirror Pond Pale Ale. This beer is part of their regular year-round portfolio, and it is a great easy drinking pale with a bronze hue. It’s smooth and very drinkable as it have just the right amount of hops and pale malt to even out the hoppiness.

Lastly, Big Rock has released a Märzen, Gerstemeister Marzen, just in time for Oktoberfest. Marzen is a style of beer that was traditionally brewed in Germany in March to be enjoyed in the fall. This beer is brewed with Hallertau and Tettnanger hops and brings about a very European style flavour profile with maltiness and just an ever so slight hop finish. The Gerstemeister Marzen is only available in the Family Jewels mix pack, which includes the Scottish Style Heavy Ale, gold old classic Traditional Ale, and brand new, Monkey’s Fist IPA. Each of these beers in the mix pack are more than worthy of you picking one up before this limited edition combo runs out.

Let’s face it, with pizza likely being the only thing on the moving and likely unpacking menu, these beers will all pair well with any kind of pizza pie! So whether you’re still unpacking from your summer move, or trying to squeeze a move in before the cold temperatures start, do yourself a favour and pick up one or all of these beers today to maintain your sanity.

Cheers!

Big Rock Eddies Celebrates 20 Years

Me and my husband/date to the Eddies!

Me and my husband/date to the Eddies!

After this years Big Rock Eddies, guests, judges and sponsors took away with them community pride, and award winners walked away with that and a little extra cash in their pocket. The Eddies is an event that all beer lovers in Calgary look forward to each year, as it allows the opportunity for creators of the print, video and t-shirt submissions to express through their talent why they are so proud to be a fan of Big Rock. The evening kicked off with the ever famous red carpet where guests had the opportunity to display their wacky, humorous, fancy, over-the-top oscar-esque get-ups. Everyone enjoyed sipping on the real reason why everyone was gathered there that evening, Big Rock beer! Life of Chai, their most recent creation, as part of the Brewmaster Series, was being sampled and everyone from media to industry folk, beer lovers, beer creators, and community supporters rubbed shoulders while enjoying their favourite Big Rock product.

Big Rock CEO, Bob Sartor

Big Rock CEO, Bob Sartor

The 20th Big Rock Eddies marked a year unforgettable for everyone involved. The event was postponed this year due to the tragic flooding back in June, and this years celebration donned more pride and community spirit than ever. Bob Sartor, CEO of Big Rock stood proudly on stage as he announced the start of the event and said “The result of 20 years is lots of laughs and lots of fun.” He impressed upon how community is one of the other big reasons for Big Rock’s success over the past 20 years. Sartor commended Ed McNally, founder of Big Rock, as this man has not only created Big Rock as a house hold name to all Albertans but he birthed what really is high-quality and pure craft beer. Ed McNally, though retired now, attended the ceremony with his wife, and it was an absolute pleasure to have the opportunity to shake their hands and to personally commend McNally for his brilliance. Mayor Nenshi, one of the judges for the print category this year spoke about his pride in Calgarians and how special a community we are to come together and support others even during the most trying times. The crowd raised their glasses and applauded as Nenshi proclaimed “Lets hear it for Calgary!”

Big Rock Brewmaster, Paul Gautreau

Big Rock Brewmaster, Paul Gautreau

The winners of the video, print and t-shirt categories were no doubt a highlight of the evening. The first place video was awarded to Greg Arenburg for his video ‘Cheers‘. Robin Blais took home the award for her t-shirt design ‘Stuffed’, and Bill Mallory won first place in the print category for his Highland Games design. The prize for the student category poster went to Logan Tanner for his “Every Man Dreams of Getting a Big Rock”, and last but not least the Responsibility category print winner was Justin Poulsen for his message about the dangers of drinking and driving. Congratulations to all the winners and submissions! Stay tuned to Big Rock for all the winning videos, posters and t-shirts from this years Eddies.

Keep your eyes out for your chance to enter the 2014 Big Rock Eddies, early in the year, and look out for the unveiling of many more Big Rock products. The innovation and most recent releases are just the beginning from Big Rock.

Cheers!

Long Weekend Highlight-Hop Discovery!

HopHappy Tuesday after the long weekend everyone! I hope you all had an enjoyable one with lots of friends, family and of course craft beer! My weekend was fun-filled with good music from City and Colour, Dan Mangan, Weezer, Blink-182, AWOL Nation and lots more at X-Fest! I tried the new Big Rock Brewmasters Edition Life of Chai, which is a pleasant and subtly spiced caramel hued brew. Notes of cardamom and cinnamon stir up the taste buds, and it’s the perfect summer to fall transition beer. The ultimate highlight of my weekend was the discovery of a huge hop vine at the back of our garage. This means only one thing, and that I will be attempting my first brew this fall. I have forever been interested in whipping up my own home-brew, and I have so many different recipes in mind. Stay tuned for the first recipe as I document the process from start to finish.

Cheers to a short week you beautiful craft beer fans!