Health Benefits of Beer!

Photo Credit-www.thefutureofhealthnow.com

Hello all you beautiful craft beer lovers! I’m very sorry about taking so darn long to post and I apologize! I can imagine you are all stoked on the fact that the weather is finally turning itself around and the patio weather we love so much is nearly upon us. Get ready to raise those glasses of tasty craft beer for the summer.

In light of summer activities, sports and outdoor fun that we all like to indulge in along-side a nice cold beer, I wanted to enlighten you all on the many health benefits of beer, especially craft beer. Now you can enjoy the summer heat with beer in hand, and sans guilt. Well…with the important note to drink in moderation, responsibly as there is such thing as too much of a good thing!

My inspiration for documenting these health benefits come from two places; The documentary ‘How Beer Saved the World’, a film that all beer lovers MUST see, and the second is because I am a soon-to-be mamma, come September, so my health and my baby’s health, once baby comes is of the utmost importance. I am able to reap the benefits of beer even now throughout my pregnancy, though minus the alcohol-hello non-alcoholic beer. I don’t encourage you to go out and pick-up any number of brands as I wouldn’t say they are nearly as delicious as good ol’ true craft beer, nor nearly as much of the selection.

The History of Beer:

Beer has been around for hundreds of thousands of years and is one of the oldest beverages that humans have produced. There is a theory that the agricultural revolution (at around 9,000 B.C.) came to be because of the need to create beer. Discovery of beer even established modern health care and can be considered one of the greatest inventions. This was just the start of this great beverage that now claims many health benefits worth sharing.

Nursing Perks for Mammas:

All you expectant mammas out there will be happy to hear that my first health related benefit to highlight is that a molecule called polysaccharide found in barley that is used to brew beer actually simulates prolactin in breast milk which ultimately helps with milk production for your baby. Non-alcoholic will do the same. It’s important to mention not to drink immediately before you plan to nurse. Ahh, one of the many benefits I look forward to come September.

Vitamin B, Fiber and Lactoflain…oh my!:

Beer is a healthy source of fiber, it contains B Vitamins and event lactoflavin and nicotinic acid to induce sleep. Darker beer has approximately 1.3 to 2 grams of fiber per serving and 0.8 to 2 grams of fiber for lighter beer. The benefit of consuming fiber can promote healthy blood sugar and blood cholesterol levels, ultimately helping to reduce risk of developing cardiovascular disease and type 2 diabetes. Cheers to a stronger heart! The yeast used to brew beer contains B6 and a bottle of beer can provide up to 12.5 percent of the recommended requirement of B6 which is also of benefit to the heart. By sticking to craft beer rather than commercially brewed, you are also doing your health a huge favour by avoiding preservatives and additives used to artificially add colour and flavour to beer.

These and many more health benefits are attributed to the great beverage of beer. However it’s important to remember that when drunk in excess beer can actually cause unwanted weight gain and rid your body of important vitamins and minerals, so stick to moderation; no more than 1 or 2 a day. So now you know! Go on out and enjoy (in moderation) some cold ones out on the patio or at home on the back deck all summer!

Cheers!